Friday, August 14, 2009

Quarter of a Century


What can I say about being married to a woman like Shanna for 25 years except WOW: what an adventure. It still amazes me that a cute, young and VERY naive preacher's daughter actually fell in love with me. There I was; a separated, soon to be divorced, hurt, angry, down on himself man who had blown one marriage and alienated his entire family (most were mad I didn't "stick it to the first wife"). I was working two jobs, keeping myself exhausted on purpose, and then here she came; all cute and bubbly--and flirty!!!!!!! RUBBER BANDS (inside joke). She helped me see that I didn't have to be down on myself; well, that actually took a few years and some heartache along the way, but she got it through to me.
What's so great about Shanna is that after 25 years, she's still cute and bubbly--AND FLIRTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy crap lady, I'm an old guy--take it easy on me!

She's everything a man could ever hope for in a wife: she supports me in my decisions (usually after she tells me just what I should decide--KIDDING), If I want to head to the mountains for the weekend she's helping me pack (hmmmm, sometimes a bit too eagerly), she makes me feel good about just being me, she's a fantastic mother to Christine and Alex (and also has a wonderful relationship with my oldest daughter Charity), and is the kindest, most loving person I have ever known.

Her strength of faith and of character are things I admire greatly in her. They are the bedrock that supports her very ispiring bravery in dealing with her M.S.. Though at times she gives in to the gravity of it all and just cries on me, which brings us closer together so we can BOTH deal with it.

She loves deeper than anyone I've ever known. She cares greater than anyone I've ever known. The depth of feeling she has for friends and family is amazing. Even at her lowest times, if someone calls or comes to her with a need, she responds with compassion, empathy and understanding; forgetting her own problems while taking care of the problems of others. It isn't a burden to her. In truly brings her joy to be someone people know they can come to for help and guidance. And when she feels joy, I feel joy for her. Seeing her happy: whether it's from listening to a new gospel CD, playing a game with our son, talking to friends on the phone (or flying half way across the country to visit them), or just snuggling together on the couch, is one of the precious aspects of marriage to Shanna.

Has it all been easy? No! A quarter century of life with me is not a cake walk (hey, I'm a complex kind of guy). We've had plenty of tough times to work through. With God's grace, we're still here, we're still together and (do I dare get this mushy) I love her more and more every day.

Trust me when I say it's a privilege to be Shanna's husband and I am ALWAYS proud to call her my wife.

1 comment:

  1. She's a great woman, Bill. Nice post. Happy 25th to you guys!

    ReplyDelete